Friday, August 10, 2012

Cake Talk @ Blk 183 Toa Payoh Central (Closed)


Singaporeans love bakeries. It's always a joy to walk past bakeries because you can smell the freshly baked bread and pastries. It's even better if you actually head to the bakery itself and try out their baked goods. Today, I'll be talking about a new bakery in the heart of Toa Payoh Town Centre called Cake Talk which sells a variety of buns, breads, pastries, cakes and so much more. Let's have a look at the store and the things I bought at the bakery itself.


At first, I came to Toa Payoh Town Centre to explore and check out what's going on around the town centre. After walking past several shops around the town centre, I came across a new bakery. How did I know if it's a new bakery? There were a bunch of flowers on the outside congratulating Cake Talk on its opening. I'm sure those flowers were indications that the store recently opened.

As you can see in the picture above, different varieties of fluffy buns can be seen here at Cake Talk. There were even some buns that I have never heard of like Japanese An Pan. Others were buns that are typically found in other heartland bakeries like the sprinkled donuts, chicken floss buns, cheese buns and so much more.

 

There were also huge varieties of breads that have been shrink wrapped and ready to eat. Just unwrap the plastic packaging and peel off the buns one by one and there you go, you have an instant on-the-go snack. Lots of flavours can be found such as Mayonnaise Chicken Floss (which they seem to misspell), Garlic, Blueberry Almond and so much more. Since there are so many choices, you can pick whichever that suits your taste.


A bakery should not exist if there are no cakes. Fortunately, Cake Talk, true to its name, has a wide selection of cakes available for you to purchase and consume. Some of the cakes are suitable for occasions like birthdays and anniversaries whereas for the others, you can buy them and consume them straight away when you're at home. I can't really recall what cakes were available on sale at Cake Talk so if you prefer, you can check out the selection at the bakery itself. I hope they sell cheesecakes and durian cakes which are my favourites.


This is interesting. They even had a tray of desserts at the cashier's counter. Maybe they want to tempt you into buying more stuff before you leave the store. Anyway, I don't really know what dessert this is. Somehow, it reminds me of this Malaysian 'Kueh' called Ondeh-Ondeh which are made from coconut and pandan with a gooey sweet filling. Like I said, this tray of desserts remind me of them so I cannot fully guarantee if it's really Ondeh-Ondeh.

Chicken Char Siew Bun
Now let's go on with the buns I bought at Cake Talk. I can't fully remember the spelling of all the buns but at least I can still remember their names. If you're looking for it specifically at the bakery itself, just look at my photos for reference.

Okay, first bun is the Chicken Char Siew Bun. If you don't know, Char Siew is barbecued meat and Char Siew is usually made out of pork BUT since Cake Talk is a Halal bakery, Muslim friends need not worry as it's made with chicken. The chicken filling was quite a lot and the colour of the filling was black since it's barbecued. The chicken filling was delicious and it's not that salty. Plus, I like the decorations on top of the bun which are made of a combination of white and black sesame seeds along with some teeny tiny veggies.

Chicken Floss Bun
You know BreadTalk has their Signature Floss Bun which is made of pork right? Cake Talk has this bun called the Chicken Floss Bun which is an alternative to BreadTalk's Signature Floss Bun. I really like this bun and I can see why it's BreadTalk's most famous offering. The top of the bread has chicken shavings which looks like candy floss and the bun was nice and fluffy. The chicken floss was a joy to eat and you can taste the chicken flavour too. It's like as if I was eating chicken-flavoured candy floss which was really cool. If I were you, I would buy two instead of one because it's not enough to have just one. I hope that the Chicken Floss Bun is a popular favourite among Cake Talk patrons. I definitely will buy this again if I have the chance.

Cheese and Mushroom Bun
Sorry for the extremely close-up shot of this picture. I only took this picture after eating almost half the bun. Anyway, this is the Cheese and Mushroom Bun. Obviously, it's a bun that has lots of cheese on top along with some pieces of mushrooms sitting on top of the spread of cheese. Just like their other buns, this bun is very fluffy and the cheese was amazing. Sure, it's processed cheese but it still tastes great. The cheese has this kind of buttery and not-too-salty flavour to it and the mushrooms were big and juicy. The mushrooms are not small as compared to the ones found in fast food mushroom burgers. Also, the cheese has these 'veins' along the side which are fun to bite into since it's hardened. If you're a fan of cheese, you should get this bun but if you like cheese but hate mushrooms, you can get the Cheese Stick Bun which I unfortunately did not get.

Coffee And Butter Bun
Last but not least, it's the Coffee And Butter Bun. Remember RotiBoy? RotiBoy was a very popular bakery that sold thousands of Coffee Butter Buns at its outlets. Back then, Singaporeans loved to patronise these bakeries and buy their signature coffee buns. Unfortunately, RotiBoy closed down many years ago due to its decreasing popularity. Seems that Singaporeans got tired of them and the management didn't seem to offer new buns in their menu.

It's a good thing Cake Talk made Coffee And Butter Buns and it really resembled RotiBoy's signature coffee buns. It's basically a big bun with a sweet coffee flavour on the outside of it and a spread of butter found on the inside. I just love to deeply inhale the strong coffee smell. I love the sweet coffee taste and the butter just accompanies the coffee well. I can see why RotiBoy closed down because Singaporeans just want some variety in their food. I wish RotiBoy will come back to Singapore and sell their coffee buns again. This time, with different varieties of flavours and heavy marketing efforts. Just like the Chicken Floss Bun, I will definitely buy this again in my next visit to Cake Talk.

Overall, Cake Talk is a great bakery with a huge variety of buns, breads, cakes and desserts available for sale. I love their freshly baked buns and I will definitely patronise the bakery again to try new things. Their Chicken Floss Bun is a must-try if you want a pork-free alternative to BreadTalk's Signature Floss Bun and their Coffee And Butter Bun is also a must-try if you miss RotiBoy's popular coffee buns. Next time, I want to try their breads which come in a variety of sweet and savoury flavours. The bakery was filled with quite a number of people and I do hope that more people will patronise the store. Plus, it's Halal so our Muslim friends need not worry. It's located in Toa Payoh Town Centre so getting here is easy with the nearby Toa Payoh MRT Station and Bus Interchange.

Cake Talk is Halal certified

Getting Here 

Bus services available: 56, 105, 153, 232, NR1 (Bus stop along Toa Payoh Central outside Blk 177)

Nearest MRT Station: NS19 Toa Payoh MRT Station (North South Line)

Website: Not Available (They should set up one) 

Update: Cake Talk Bakery at Blk 183 Toa Payoh Central has officially closed as of November 2012 
 

View Larger Map
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...